Saturday, August 31, 2013

Birthday Cards for Local Children's Homes

By Sarah Berg, Secretary
 

When I volunteered to be the secretary for the CSC I figured I would be responsible for taking notes at meetings, getting the mail, and other basic secretary responsibilities. Upon meeting with Nikki Schmidt (last year’s secretary), I found out one other aspect of my job: sending birthday cards and Wal Mart gift cards to children living in shelters and orphanages in our area. I had no idea the CSC did this! It has become my favorite task every month. I purchase $20 gift cards with CSC funds and tape them inside a birthday card. I write a personal message to each child and send them on their way. The CSC sends approximately 75 cards every year! This is such an amazing way to positively impact the lives of children in our communities. I am humbled and honored to be the catalyst for this gift--- but it is our membership funds and thrift store income that make this possible. Joining the CSC is not just about attending socials and making new friends (although those are two pretty good reasons alone!). When you become a member of the CSC you join an organization that makes a difference in the lives of children in our area. And we can all feel good about that!